On July 7, 2014, the Leon H. & Clymene M. Bond Foundation, Inc. donated a 1958 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner to the Oconto County Historical Society in loving memory of Mr. Leon H. Bond and Mr. Earl DeCloux.
The car was originally purchased brand new by Mr. Leon H. Bond. When it was introduced in 1958, the Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner was the only true hardtop convertible in the world. Today, it has become a valuable collectible car. Mr. Bond adored the car and took meticulous care of it. He could often be seen riding down Main Street with the retractable top down. When his health began to fail he asked his good friend, Earl DeCloux, to care for the car. Earl took great pride in maintaining the Skyliner and even had the car completely restored in 1994 by Larry McGray’s Antique Automotive. When Mr. Bond passed away in March of 2000, the car was left to the Bond Foundation. Over the years Earl continued to care for, maintain and display the car in memory of Mr. Bond until his passing in February 2014.
The Leon H. & Clymene M. Bond Foundation hopes to continue the Skyliner’s journey and share it with the community. The Oconto County Historical Society is currently in the process of raising funds to build a Carriage House on the Beyer Home grounds. Once completed, the Carriage House will be the perfect home for the Skyliner to be displayed for all to enjoy.